Thursday 10 July 2008

Saw it a second time.....


And i cry like a baby again ,which is quite sad ....I'd like to think that it was because i am pregnant (the Cookie snorted quite loudly when i told him that) but we all know that not true .
I don't think i will be as eloquent as some others ,not because i don't want to but simply because i can't (take me ages just to write a tiny post!) .

I recently complained because i couldn't find a new movie or a series that captivated me as much as some books ( Carnival was one those ,i am still crying the loss of it) ,i like this one so much that it should keep me warm for at least 6 months .

Where to start ?

Watching it a second time made me more aware of it flaws ( quite a few convenient plot device )but also how beautifully it is done ,all scenes has a purpose there is no unnecessary shot there and it's that for me that make it a all time keeper .
The actors are all good but really the best is Richard Armitage ,he manage to show J.Thornton emotions as well as if we were reading a book ,you can pinpoint the exact moment he fall in love with Margaret and i think only a good film director and a brilliant actor can do that .

I see everywhere that people compare it to Pride and Prejudice ,to me it's like comparing Feehan with Ward ,don't think so!
One seem quite frivolous next to the other .
I was quite surprised to see how much i like Mrs Thornton ,usually I am very loyal to my heroes but being a mum ,i would have reacted exactly like her ,what kind of mother like a woman who keep hurting her son? It broke my heart ,when he come back after the proposal and tell his mum " no one love me ,no one care for me but you" even me i hated Margaret after THAT !

I am always surprised to see that if you really love a movie ,the person you do not find attractive when it start ,you end up loving at the end .
Not that R.Armitage is unattractive but i must say outside North and South i wouldn't have noticed him ,so really it's John that i love (by the end when you only have seen shot of him brooding it is very unsettling to see him smile!) .
Margaret pales a bit next to him ,you can't see her emotion as easily but she is really beautiful ,i was very pleased with her looks she is very Representative of the criteria of beauty of this time.


It annoy me that i can't say all the thing i want to say about it (does anyone speak french?) ,i could talk about it for hour *sight*

For the one who love this period You can read The Clouded Hills by Brenda Jagger (can't find you a picture,it was written in 1980) It's quite hard to buy but you would probably find it at the library .
synopsis:

AT SIXTEEN VERITY BECOME SOLE HEIRESS TO A FORTUNE ON THE WOOL MILLS OD YORKSHIRE AND REALIZE FOR THE FIRST TIME THAT SHE IS NO MORE THAN A PAWN IN THE GAMES OF AMBITIOUS MEN,OBEDIENT TO THE CONVENTIONS OF THE VICTORIAN AGE,SHE ACCEPTS A MARRIAGE OF CONVENIENCE AND CLOAKS HER PROUD SPIRIT IN THE SILKS AND SATINS OF A SOCIETY HOSTESS.

BUT FOR VERITY BARFORTH CONVENTION IS NOT ENOUGH.WHEN AT LAST SHE FALLS IN LOVE IT IS NOT WITH HER HUSBAND,AND SHE BECOMES THE CENTER OF A POWERFUL DRAMA OF INFIDELITY,JEALOUSY AND REVENGE,PLAYED OUT AGAINST THE MAGNIFICENT LANDSCAPES OF THE YORKSHIRE MOORS AND THE BRUTAL POVERTY OF THE MILLS


Truly an amazing book, written in the first person (which was quite rare at this time) ,it give you a good idea of how the "Masters" wife's lived.

To help detect you addiction : North and south

7 comments:

KT Grant said...

You should watch BBC's Robin Hood. Richard plays the total opposite of John in N&S. He plays the evil Guy and he is so amazing and beautiful.
I am in love with John's cravat. :D

Unknown said...

I need to watch Robin Hood still.

I have to say that I liked North and South better than Pride and Prejudice. The ending with them falling in love just seemed so much more believable.

pidute said...

I am not too sure about Robin Hood ,i really liked the Kevin Costner one.

Kristie (J) said...

I saw you post the other day and meant to comment - but *sigh* shopping and work took over.
But isn't this a wonderful series? And each time one watches it, it gets better and better!!
Thanks for joining The Crusade *big happy grin*

Carolyn Crane said...

I just watched this myself and I really enjoyed reading your thoughts about it! I agree with your liking the mum - I did, too, and she really did react as a mum would!

Also, I love your header! That's a lovely piece of art there.

Anonymous said...

Je parle francais, mais, malheureusement, je ne regarde pas la tele. C'est vrai, il y a des mots en francais qui ne se traduisent pas en anglais. Si j'ai fait des fautes de grammaire ou de l'orthographe, veuillez m'excuser, je ne practique plus le francais, pas d'occasion.

pidute said...

non c'est tres bien (j'aimerai bien parler anglais comme ca !) ,ca me fais plaisire.
Une fan de roman francophone ,ca vaux de l'or