Sunday 20 July 2008

Promise linger and Poison study

Promises Linger by Sarah McCarty

Synopsis:


Elizabeth Coyote will do anything, anything at all, to save the ranch she loves, including marrying Asa MacIntyre, a broad shouldered, lean-hipped, silver-eyed gunslinger with a ruthless reputation for getting the job done.

Asa dreams of a place of his own, a wife and the respectability that comes with both. Marrying Elizabeth may have started as a means to an end, but nothing in Asa's wildest dreams prepares him for the excitement of unleashing the carnal woman beneath his wife's prim and proper exterior
.

I had giving up on Elora's cave after a few unlucky ones but because KATIE(BABS)had recommended McCarty ,i decided to give it another try.
This one was not what i expected ,the love scene were really vanilla ,few and fare between ,that was really nice because i don't mind them kinky but after the 10th ,i don't really care anymore how they do it ,i just want them to do it quickly to be able to move on .
I had the hardest time finishing it ,it was too long and the few moment that could have bring any conflict were quickly and efficiently dealt in three line ,i almost wished for the many many sex scene you usually find in the Elora's cave to keep me entertained !
Asa is too perfect ,don't drink much ,don't get mad for no reason ,is a gunslinger but a GOOD one ,never had a BJ but know very well how to please using the "other way" etc...so really not that interesting .
Elly was a bit better but i found it strange that a girl who went to a "lady" school and try so hard to fit in use the word cock instead of manhood .
it's really too bad because i really like this time frame maybe i should try other one from her .
Grade :1/5

Poison study by Maria V.Snyder

Synopsis :


Choose: A quick death...or a slow poison...About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered an extraordinary reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace - and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia. And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust - and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonising death from the poison. As Yelena tries to escape her new dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and Yelena develops magical powers she can't control. Her life is threatened again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren't so clear...

It took me forever to start it but when i did ,i read it in two day.
It was original and the protagonist where very likable (my favorite being the Commander) .
I find that i like more and more when a story is told from the first person ,it had a kind of mystery that you would not have with the other form of narrating.
I would really recommend this book .
Grade :4/5

7 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

I hate to say this because I know I'm in the minority - and she really seems like a nice and funny person, but Sarah McCarty doesn't work for me. I've tried a number of her books now - the Promises series, Caines Reckoning and haven't been able to finish any of them. Her heroes just annoy the heck out of me - don't get me started on Caine *shudder*.

pidute said...

You know what ?i think i will trust you and give up on her !
The only reason i finish the book was because i am a masochist and i like to suffer ....

KT Grant said...

I haven't had the chance to read Promises Linger yet, but the other two in the series are pretty good and not as vanilla.
Sarah sure does like some action with the butt area, if you know what I mean ;)

pidute said...

well that the thing ! the butt area was the only big scene of all the book a real disappointment ....

Stacy~ said...

I don't love Sarah's books, but I have read most of them and enjoyed them. I like how gritty they are rather than glamorous. I don't consider them particularly romantic but definitely very earthy. I really have to be in the right mood to read one of her books.

Unknown said...

I honestly can’t remember if I’ve read one of her books or not. If I have it was in e-format. I have a lot of e-books that I’ve enjoyed but didn’t fall in love with :o)

pidute said...

the problem with e-book is if you don't have a kindle or the sony reader ,reading them on the computer is a bit awkward .